Mexican Charro Beans - Frijoles Charros
|Mexican Charro Beans - or cowboy beans. Slow cooked spicy pinto beans with chorizo sausage and bacon.|
|1 lb. ||Pinto Beans|
|2 ||Serrano chilies|
|1 ||chicken bouillon cube|
|2 ||strips bacon|
|1 ||link or |
|chorizo sausage cut into sm. cubes/|
|1 md. ||onion|
|1 clove ||garlic minced|
|1 sm. ||red pepper|
|1 tbsp. ||Tomato paste|
|5 sm. ||tomatoes|
0 Recipe Reviews
Subscribe for tasty updates:
1. Soak the beans overnight (12 hours) in 6 cups of water. Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans and 6 cups of water to a pot and simmer for approximately 3 hours or until tender. Add the bouillon cube to the pot.
2. Saute the chorizo sausage and bacon over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is crisp and the sausage is cooked through.
3. Add the onion to the pan, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes
4. Add the garlic and serano chilies, and red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes
5. Add the diced tomato and tomato paste to the pan and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the mixture to the beans and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Optional: Serve with a slice of lime, cilantro, pico de gallo, and your favorite hot sauce to add as you like along with tortilla chips.